Monday, June 15, 2009

Emergency Preparedness

yes, it is a bit dramatic


I like to think of myself as a survivalist, but don't often use that term due to most people conjuring images of me eating SPAM in a basement with a gas mask around my neck, sitting on a crate of ammo. And that would be wrong.
I don't even HAVE a basement.

But I try to impress on people the good sense of being prepared for trouble. That will mean a great deal of different things to different people. But I think one would be pretty spot on with a prediction that something bad is likely to happen. You know, sometime. That does not mean that you should move to the Mosquito Coast, dig a bomb shelter, or invest your 401k in gold coins and AKs
(well, not all of it at least)

[Seriously, leave your retirement alone unless you can't pay rent. And now is a bad time to buy gold. That's why they are advertising it]



Anyway...

It is a good idea to be prepared. There are all sorts of things that can go wrong.

(terrorist attack, riot, hurricane, earthquake, wildfire, virulent pandemic, flood, zombies, global economic meltdown, tornado, solar flares, zombies, meteorite strike, cat uprising, nuclear war, conventional war, civil war and zombies.)

See? and that's just off the top of my head.


So some things I think everyone needs: (very basic)
  1. 12 gauge Shotgun (if someone kills you, all other plans are moot)
  2. Water (you need way more than you think)
  3. Non perishable foods
  4. Cash
  5. Flashlights
  6. First aid kits
  7. Hammer
  8. Duct tape
  9. Multi tool
  10. Insurance and a good lawyer (OK, so that is at least two things. It is my list)
You would be surprised how many of life's problems can be fixed with the above items. And how many people would be completely at a loss without them in 48 hours if the lights and water stopped working.


Obviously, the above items do not in any way guarantee that you will survive the apocalypse, or even at the championship weekend of your local sports team. This list is woefully inadequate. But it is a start, and I can't give away all my secrets now, I want you to keep reading.

I believe everyone must take steps to ensure the security and health of their persons, families, and property. Those who fail to do so run the risk of fleeing down the highway, starving with no shoes on, wondering why the government won't save them.


No comments:

Post a Comment