The Auto Mag never found much favor in the shooting community and is mostly forgotten today. It is probably most famous for being featured in Sudden Impact, the fourth Dirty Harry movie. The combination of a new design with a new ammunition type is simply too daunting for most consumers. Fewer than 3000 guns were made on the initial run and they will fetch at least $2,000 today, if you can find one. Bad management decisions forced the Auto Mag Corporation to lose money on each pistol sold and a rush to start production meant that manufacturing was not always up to spec and costs were higher than profits. The Auto Mag was eventually produced under the name of 12 different companies and was produced in many different locations. It was a promising design, especially for its time, that was never fully explored or vindicated.
- Chambering: .44 AMP (Auto Magnum Pistol) [10.74x33 mm] (1970), .357AMP[9x33 mm] (1972), .41JMP (Jurras Mag Pistol) [10.41x33 mm]
- Barrel Length: 6.5 inches.
- Overall Length: 11.5 inches.
- Weight: 57 oz (3 lb 9 oz) [.44 AMP]; 54 oz (3 lb 6 oz) [.357 AMP].
- Magazine: 8-round single-column box magazine.
- Sights: Adjustable target sights.
- Finish: Stainless steel.